The Steamboat Classic Building Steam program is comprised of four unique training programs. Now in it’s 23rd year, Building Steam has grown to offer more than just a single training program. Throughout the years, the program has evolved and added three unique programs. Participants in each program are grouped with others of similar skill and speed in pace groups led by our amazing volunteer coaches.
ACCESS STEAM is an in initiative that started 2010, is designed to provide an opportunity for individuals with disabilities to experience our event. IVS has partnered with Easter Seals; Heart of Illinois Special Recreation Association; and other agencies to ensure that our training programs and our event are accessible and inclusive for individuals with physical, cognitive, developmental, and/or other disabilities and their families. The beauty of this program is that it is designed not only for the individual, but also for their families. Participants are paired with mentors to get fit in a safe, secure environment and prepare for the 4 Mile Run / Walk or 2 Mile Fun Run / Walk.
RISING STEAM was introduced in 2010 as a complimentary program to Building Steam. This program unites youth (both girls and boys and their parents/guardians) to introduce running/walking fitness with the ultimate goal of the Steamboat Classic 4 Mile Race. Rising Steam offers special workouts for growing athletes (girls and boys, grades 6-12) with the goal of completing the Steamboat Classic 4 Mile Run / Walk or 2 Mile Fun Run / Walk.
SCOUTING STEAM, started in 2006 in partnership with the W.D. Boyce Council, Scouting Steam provides the opportunity for Scouts to satisfy the requirements for their Personal Fitness Merit Badge, with the goal of completing the Steamboat Classic 4-Mile Run/Walk. Over 75 Scouts and their parents are expected in 2016.
- Online – visit www.steamboatclassic.org for more information
- Training Program Packet Pick Up @ Running Central on April 1st & 2nd
- Orientation/Pace Assignment – Wednesday, April 6, 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm @ The RiverPlex
- Training Sessions – starting April 13, 6:00 pm on Wednesdays @ The RiverPlex
Participants will receive:
- 11 weeks of coaching and support
- Running tips and tricks (apparel, nutrition, etc.) from industry experts
- Technical, short sleeve Training Program shirt
- Entry into the Steamboat Classic race of choice
- Technical, short sleeve Steamboat Classic Race shirt
- Entry to the post-race Finish Line Festival to celebrate achievements on the race courses
|Feb 15 – April 2||April 3 – June 1|
Pricing structure for Building Steam includes Access, Rising, and Scouting Steam programs.